Cold Weather Safety Tips
Protect yourself, your loved ones and your home with these cold weather safety tips.
- Layer up- Wear layers of lightweight clothing to stay warm. Gloves and a hat will help prevent losing body heat.
- Don’t forget about your pets- If it’s too cold for you, it’s too cold for them. Make sure your pets have shelter and unfrozen water.
- Remember the three feet rule- If you are using a space heater, place it on a level hard surface and keep anything flammable at least three feet away.
- Requires supervision- Make sure that you turn off space heaters and fire place embers are out before going to bed.
- Prevent fires- If you are using a fireplace, use a glass or metal screen to catch large sparks and catch rolling logs.
- Protect your pipes-Run water, even if it’s a trickle. The running water will help protect your pipes from freezing. Also keep your garage doors closed if there are water lines in the garage.
- Don’t slip-Keep your sidewalks and stairways snow and ice free, by always using a pet safe ice melt.
- The kitchen is for cooking- Never use a stove or oven to heat your home.
- Use of the generator- Never operate a generator inside the home. Including your basement or garage.
- Winter driving- Make sure that you have plenty of tread on your car’s tires or replace your worn tires.
Use these helpful tips to avoid having a new insurance claim! Brought to you by The Insurance Store of Connecticut 303 East Center St. Manchester, CT 860-645-1960